Sunday, June 4, 2017

SFF: The 5 Books You Read When You Require a Complete Reality Escape

Sunday Fun Five #76:



A Countdown of

The 5 Books You Read When You Require a Complete Reality Escape



5. The Samurai's Garden by Gail Tsukiyama
Normally, when you think of a reality escape, you don't generally think of historical fiction books- but The Samurai's Garden is such a beautifully written, tranquil book that I couldn't keep myself from adding it.


4. Sunshine by Robin McKinley
I pretty much love this book, but it still didn't make my five star reads. I think this was my first major urban fantasy book, and another building block in my obsession with vampires.


3. My Man Jeeves (Jeeves #1) by P.G. Wodehouse
Jeeves and Wooster make for the perfect reality escape by getting into sticky situations that often result in a humorous outcome.


2. Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle #1) by Diana Wynne Jones
This book made me happy when I was in a snarly mood, so I would consider this a fairly potent reality escape/mood tamer.


1. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1) by Douglas Adams
For me, this is the ultimate reality escape because it's set off-planet (or at least some of it). Nothing like zany space adventures to keep reality at bay.

Which books are your favorite escape from reality? 

6 comments:

  1. Except for Hitchhiker's Guide, I haven't read any of these, but many of these authors are on my to read list. Sunshine has been on my TBR pile forever. one of these days I will actually get to it. And I've been wanting to read something by Gail Tsukiyama and Diana Wynne Jones. This is a great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend Sunshine! It was one of my first Urban Fantasy books, and is still among my favorites. I was pleasantly surprised by both Tsukiyama and Jones- initially I hadn't expected to like their books so much.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Wendy!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with Howl's and Hitchhiker's. I still need to get to my Jeeves book.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be able to get My Man Jeeves as a Kindle freebie still (although sometimes they do mark it up and do not allow public domain books for free). Hitchhiker's is probably my most recommended for a nice, absurd reality escape. :)
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, La La!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
    2. I have at least one Jeeves, maybe two? I have to check. Yeah, when someone says they don't read SciFi I recommend Hitchiker's. I need to read the rest of the series. :)

      Delete
    3. Hitchhiker's is perfect for the sci-fi averse! I think I need to reread it soon.
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...