Wednesday, October 15, 2014

"At Grave's End (Night Huntress #3)" by Jeaniene Frost

This review is for the third book in the series, and may have unmarked spoilers for those who haven't yet read Halfway to the Grave and One Foot in the Grave.

I was more wary about starting this book in the Night Huntress series after my adverse reaction to the second installment, One Foot in the Grave, but given I'd bought all of the books in a mad Kindle Daily Deal clickathon, I decided to continue. At Grave's End was better than both of the previous books in my opinion, mostly because the plot didn't linger on the relationship between Cat and Bones inordinately. I realize this is a Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy hybrid, but I prefer an actual plot over unstructured romance any day.

The Plot: (Synopsis As Seen on Goodreads)
'It should be the best time of half-vampire Cat Crawfield's life. With her undead lover Bones at her side, she’s successfully protected mortals from the rogue undead. But though Cat’s worn disguise after disguise to keep her true identity a secret from the brazen bloodsuckers, her cover’s finally been blown, placing her in terrible danger.
'As if that wasn't enough, a woman from Bones’s past is determined to bury him once and for all. Caught in the crosshairs of a vengeful vamp, yet determined to help Bones stop a lethal magic from being unleashed, Cat’s about to learn the true meaning of bad blood. And the tricks she’s learned as a special agent won’t help her. She will need to fully embrace her vampire instincts in order to save herself—and Bones—from a fate worse than the grave.'

A lot happens in this book, but because I have a preference for overstuffed plots, I didn't mind. Some of Bones's promises to Don come into play, as well as a full out vampire war with some previously unseen monsters. I was on the edge of my seat for most of the book, and despite knowing one of the plot points wouldn't come to fruition, This particular book is difficult to talk about, due to all those possible spoilers, so I won't say much more other than I enjoyed it.

Cat's relationships to people other than Bones are examined more closely in this book. I thought it was about time something was said about her familial relationships in particular, because of the way her family uses her ruthlessly. Not to say that this particular set is the worst family in fiction, but they certainly are the runners-up for the most difficult.

At Grave's End is a considerably better book than its predecessors. I struggled with the rating of it, but made it 3.5 due to a plot device that nearly everyone who reads this series won't believe. With that said, I think the quality of the series can only go up from here and I recommend this to UF/PNR fans who like a mishmash of monsters in their reads.

Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars for a better than the first two in the series read!


Content: Ages 18+ for the usual Night Huntress shenanigans.


Page Count: 342 pages

Monsters Within: Vamps, Ghouls, and something rather macabre that I can't name without spoiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...