Sunday, October 11, 2015

SFF: The 5 Scary-Sounding Books You Want to Read

The Sunday Fun Five #38

Sunday Fun 5:
#38: The 5 Scary-Sounding Books You Want to Read
For the 25th of October: #39: The 5 Scary Movies You Want to Read the Book Version Of

A Countdown of

The 5 Scary-Sounding Books You Want to Read


(For this SFF, I'm picking books exclusively from my piles I have on hand, to remind myself I have good taste. Also, I should probably read these before gathering more scary books.)


5. Archivist by Corryn Anderson
I picked this up as a freebie for Kindle awhile ago, and it is a scary-sounding dystopian/post-apocalyptic novel. Michael, a petty thief is sentenced to being an Archivist- one of the harshest punishments there is, experiencing the memories of someone from the time before the Loss. I believe this is self published, but the cover is better than some of the traditionally published works I've read.


4. Help for the Haunted by John Searles
A girl's parents, who happen to be paranormal investigators, are murdered while on the job. Although it is rather dense in page count, I loved the cover, which was why I chose to pick it up in the first place.


3. Pet Sematary by Stephen King
I haven't yet read a Stephen King book, but I have started a collection of his books (mainly first editions). After reading The Wendigo, it turns out the same creature is featured in this book. I wouldn't mind hearing more about that monster.


2. Still with Me by Thierry Cohen
A man commits suicide, only to wake up the next day alive, only it happens to be a year later. I don't know about you, but losing time/not being able to remember freaks me out, hence the high ranking of this book.


1. Boy's Life by Robert McCammon
A coming of age story with a creepy twist? And a reviewer compared it to Alice Hoffman (one of my favorite authors ever)? There is no mystery why this one is on the top of my list, despite having the most pages of all the books listed.

What are some of the spooky books you want to read? Do you plan on reading any for Halloween?

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't say they're necessarily a "Top Five", but I've got The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson along with Hyde by Daniel Levine. I'm hoping to get through both before the end of the October since Hyde is a library book. I also have Pet Sematary on my list, but I'm not likely to get to it this year. I would love to finish October Country by Ray Bradbury and get to The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. *Sigh* Why can't October be longer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish October was a couple months longer so I could read all the scary books too! Jekyll and Hyde is always one I've wanted to read, but I'm trying to stick to my list of books I already own so someday I can reread without irking my conscience.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Rachelle!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...