Thursday, March 1, 2018

My Favorite Reads of 2017


I read a total of 85 books in 2017. Here are some of my favorites:

Standalones:



Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
Rating: 5 Stars
This is poetry, and though I rarely read poetry anymore, it was exactly what I needed to help me get through 2017. Fair warning though- it does have themes of sexual assault.


The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo
Rating: 4.5 Stars
I loved how deeply the magical realism was interwoven with the Chinese culture and mythology in this book. I was on the edge of 5 Stars with The Ghost Bride, but I felt it could've had a little bit more to the book.


Windhaven by George R.R. Martin and Lisa Tuttle
Rating: 4 Stars
An interesting sci-fi fantasy mix that revolves around the concept of winged messengers- and what a concept! This one is good for when you need something interesting but familiar, because it has some ideas that remind me of other books.

Series Books:


The Rules of Magic (Practical Magic Prequel) by Alice Hoffman
Rating: 5 Stars
Sometimes you read a book exactly when you need it- I had put off reading this one because I thought it would take all of 3 days. Then my grandma died, and things got sticky. It was difficult to read this book because it deals with grief and growing up, but it was perfect for me at the time.



Naked in Death (In Death #1) by J.D. Robb
Rating: 4 Stars
If I had not read this book in 2017, I wouldn't have had the fortitude to write what I did in February. I think that this book, although most would label this entire series a silly romance with sci-fi elements, did as much work for me as Rupi Kaur's poetry. Heroines with difficult pasts help readers with difficult pasts. If you like romance and sci-fi, give this a read- as long as you are okay with violence and sex.



Parable of the Sower (Earthseed #1) by Octavia E. Butler
Rating: 4 Stars
I did a buddy read with this one, but never got around to a review. Suffice to say, as a Butler novel it was dark and dystopian, but it ended on an interesting note. I will have to read the next in the series soon.



Wildfire (Hidden Legacy #3) by Ilona Andrews
Rating: Both 4.5 Stars
These books were so good I read them twice. If you like paranormal romance or urban fantasy with kooky creatures, I definitely recommend starting with Burn for Me (the first in this series).




Mockingbird, Vol. 1: I Can Explain (Mockingbird (2016) #1)
Mockingbird, Vol. 2: My Feminist Agenda (Mockingbird (2016) #2) by Chelsea Cain (Author), Kate Niemczyk (Illustrations), and JoĆ«lle Jones (Cover Artist)
Ratings: 4 Stars, and 5 Stars
I don't read a lot of graphic novels, and typically I avoid superhero books, too, so when I ended up hooked on the Mockingbird books it was a surprise. When I ended up rating My Feminist Agenda 5 Stars (my first five star read of 2017), I was a bit confused. Nonetheless, if you like humor and action with a touch of romance, these books may be up your alley.


Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal (Ms. Marvel TPB #1) by G. Willow Wilson (Author) and Adrian Alphona (Artist)
Rating: 4 Stars
Another solid graphic novel that helped me get through the dark days of 2017, Ms. Marvel is fresh, fun, and thought-provoking. If you've ever wondered what it might be like to be a Muslim teen, I think Ms. Marvel gives you a fairly accurate picture.


Honorable Reread:



Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2) by Ilona Andrews
Rating: 4.5 Stars
One night, I was having a very hard time with the fact that my grandma was continually in decline, and this book really helped stop that despair. As I wrote in my Goodreads review (linked above), I can only hope to someday write books powerful enough to stop tears in their tracks.

Since it's now March (and you've had adequate time to reflect), which books were your favorite reads of 2017?

(P.S. I switched all my comments to Disqus and I will be monitoring/previewing all of them before posting. Thanks for your patience!)

8 comments:

  1. I love how iconic the Mockingbird Feminist cover, and the Ms Marvel cover, are! :)

    Sorry to hear about your grandmother *hugs*

    Books can give us amazing strength - they're the most powerful things in the world. Use wisely ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge fan of both of them now- I would hang the Mockingbird cover off of my house if I had a waterproof version of it. :)
    Thanks for stopping by and sympathizing, Cee Arr.
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so many good things about Milk and Honey. Glad to hear it helped you <3 It's neat how poetry is like that. I haven't read any poetry books, but I come across it on social media like Pinterest, and when you find something that resonates with you, it does help somehow. And it's interesting how different books can help us in different ways.

    I do like graphic novels, but I'm not really a reader of the superhero ones either. But that's great you liked the ones you read! I was actually surprised by a superhero novel in 2017 as well (not a GN, just a regular one). And the Innkeeper Chronicles sounds like a good series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree! I hadn't read much poetry for probably 2-3 years before 2017, so it was kind of a surprise that I liked it or even bought it!
    Superhero reads can be hit or miss- I definitely needed the graphic novel versions last year because I couldn't read that well (I am still blaming gabapentin). The Innkeeper Chronicles is probably my favorite Ilona Andrews series (even though I have rated some of their other series books 5 Stars- Innkeeper holds a special esteem with me). It started as a free internet serial and they are currently writing a new novella serial on their website now! :)
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Kristen!
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's so easy to fall in love with the Innkeeper Chronicles! I have one of the signed special editions that I overspent for, but it makes me very happy to know I have Gordon and Ilona's autographs in my house. :P
    The Rules of Magic won 2017 for me- I was so glad I got an ARC of it. The Ghost Bride was a lot more interesting than I had thought it would be. :)
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Wendy!
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some great books listed here! I recently read the Innkeeper Chronicles, and I am in love. It's a great series. And definitely ideal for escaping into. I want to give the Hidden Legancy series a try. And I must get to The Rules of Magic this year since my husband was kind enough to get me a copy for Christmas. I love Hoffman's writing, but I so rarely read her books. I am so glad you loved The Ghost Bride. I did too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every Man Dies Alone sounds really interesting- I'll have to check it out. I've looked at Hyperbole and a Half, but of course I *sometimes* try to restrain my book buying habits. I actually watched the Circle first (I didn't realize it was a book- my brother bought it for me for Christmas, so I have a valid excuse)! The Colour of Magic is in my doomsday TBR hoard, so I'm sure someday I'll get to it!
    Thanks for stopping by and sharing your recs, Rachelle!
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved The Rules of Magic as well, but you will find this out elsewhere with my backwards commenting. I have the ebook of The Ghost Bride, but it's in my secondary tbr. ☺

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...