Sunday, March 11, 2018

Fortnightly Update #41: Let's Try This Regularly Blogging Thing Again!


I may not be the most efficient blogger, but I feel like blogging (particularly about books) helps keep me on track with my goals and helps keep track of my health, so I'd better start again. Lately I've been on an ARC-acquiring binge because it gives me something to look forward to (even if the publication dates have begun passing me by on a few of them).

Recent Acquisitions (or the Piling of the-Piles):

the-pile Additions:

Some to speak of, but I'm too shaky-handed to take decent pictures now.

the-invisible-pile Additions:


Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin
An anonymous blogger is threatened with having their gender fluidity outed in this YA book- I just thought it was an interesting topic. Because of my past, I sometimes find YA books triggering, which is why I typically avoid them, but of course, not all YA books are that way for me.


Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom by John O'Donohue
I feel like if my aunt were alive, this would be something that she'd read. She was very neo-pagan-ish for a Catholic woman.


The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X, Alex Haley, & M.S. Handler
I have a movie about Malcolm X's life, but I think the autobio ought to be more fascinating. He was an incredibly complex man.


Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson
Both this book and Dear Martin are YA, which as I stated above, I typically avoid, but... the descriptions of these both made me want to read them. This is about a girl who allegedly killed a baby.


Dear Martin by Nic Stone
This YA also revolves around crime and justice, this one more involving the current state of affairs between the public and the police.


 Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1) by Ann Leckie
The worst thing (by far) about being a book blogger is that if you see a book mentioned enough times (positively or negatively) and you're curious, you'll probably want to read it. This one is one of those for me- I've seen positive and negative reviews and I'm very curious about which end of the spectrum I'll end up on.

NetGalley:


School for Psychics (School for Psychics #1) by K.C. Archer
Expected publication: April 3rd 2018
I couldn't resist this one's description- and as a twenty-something, I must read books about my fellow twenty-somethings sometimes.


The Summer I Met Jack by Michelle Gable
Expected publication: May 29th 2018
This is supposedly lighter historical fiction with a romantic bent about the relationship between John F. Kennedy and Alicia Corning Clark- I was intrigued, so I clicked Read Now.


Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage
Expected publication: July 17th 2018
I'm not into thrillers... but something about the description of this one hooked me. I hope it's as good as it sounds.

Currently Reading:


I am very slowly munching on this book, but I'm still loving it. It's a hard book to read, in some ways, because the magic system is intricate. I don't like to compare books (especially across age ranges), but it does remind me of Harry Potter.


Expected publication: March 27th 2018
I read the first in this series, How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1), last year, but I haven't read the second yet. Although I skipped one in the series, it still makes sense to me, though if you plan on reading this series (which is fantasy/paranormal romance) I would recommend starting with the first one and reading sequentially.

Blogger Event:

From Here

In case you're looking for a challenge, Let's Book About It and That One Girl Who Reads are hosting a Lost-A-Thon in April from the Twitter account OurLostLibrary and from That One Girl Who Reads's blog. It looks like a lot of fun, but I'm not sure if I'll be up for the challenge.

P.S. If you have book blogger events that you'd like me to share, feel free to contact me to put them on my Fortnightly Updates. I try to share book blog posts, but sometimes fibro-fog is just a beast!

In My Life:

Pictures Taken From My Kindle (AKA not the best, but...)
I am tending to my minion army, which I started back in February. I was upset at George (the cat) because he decided that my schizanthus flowers I put in the back room were his to play with (or rather, destroy). I've started over with the schizanthus and also started tomato seedlings (which are more sensitive to frost). I'm hoping everything will turn out well.

Are any ARCs sparking your attention?


9 comments:

  1. I keep seeing School for Psychics popping up and it has me really curious. Anything like that though usually does. :) And symptoms of Being Human does sound really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope School for Psychics is as good as it looks! I just couldn't resist Symptoms of Being Human either- contemporary books usually aren't my thing, but if it's an interesting topic I'll go for it!
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Greg!
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually been interested in learning more about Malcom X for a while now because we never really learn about him in school (just MLK Jr). I've been looking for a good bio or autobio about him and I've been running into walls so I'll definitely be checking out the one you mentioned! Also, I need to read Dear Martin ASAP! I keep hearing about how it's so impactful and wonderful.

    My cats do the exact same thing with any plant that is within reach and it's absolutely ridiculous! I mean, it's not like they're mortal enemies, but my cats sure act like they are! They've killed every plant that's come into the house (with the lone exception of the gigantic umbrella plant).

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, you're so right about the curiosity factor blogging, when I see something either hyped or hated strongly it makes me want to read that book and it's had mixed results. Mostly though I find that I'm just happy to find out what all the fuss is about.

    I picked up Ancillary Justice a few years back since it was mentioned as a great feminist sci fi? I want to get to it soon-ish but I'm in no rush since I have a ton of library books and ARCs to get through, plus I had already made a list of series I want to get to this year first. I'm also intrigued by Baby Teeth, the synopsis sounds interesting. I hadn't heard of Allegedly but I'm adding it to my TBR, and Dear Martin is another one on my list as well. So many books to catch up on!

    Hmm I've been thinking about picking up some more challenges but at the same time I don't because I don't want to pressure myself this year to fit strict reading categories. The only one I'm doing so far this year is the 2018 Modern Mrs. Darcy challenge, since there were only 12 and the categories seemed pretty flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I have nominated you for the One Lovely Blogger Award. Here is a link to mine, for if you decide to do it – https://stephenwriterblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/13/one-lovely-blog-award/

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for tagging me Stephen! I'll have to check it out! :)
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, Malcolm X rarely makes it into textbooks because he was very controversial- but he definitely deserves a place in one. That's great that you heard about Dear Martin- I'll have to move it up my reading list.

    George is just interested in learning gardening, that's all. It's not his fault he has black thumbs. :P
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Laura!
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I need to know what the fuss is about, so I definitely have to read it. As much as I trust my fellow bloggers' opinions, mine is the only one that matters. XD

    Well, your taste in books and mine is similar- Baby Teeth just bit into me with it's pretty cover, shiny description, and beautiful "Read Now" button! I like to read a lot of books on justice and injustice- it's just such an interesting and difficult topic.

    Yes, that's the same with me- I gave up my Goodreads Challenge until I feel like I know how many books I *can* handle this year. I hope you do well and have fun with your Modern Mrs. Darcy challenge!
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting (again), Jamie!
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still need to read Symptoms of Being Human. I love your garden related photos and am looking forward to the rest of them this summer and fall. 🌻

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...