Sunday, April 16, 2017

Fortnightly Update #32: Feline Junk Food and a Rereading Spree



Recent Acquisitions (or the Piling of the-Piles):


the-pile Additions:

La La in the Library mentioned Dollar Tree book finds in one of her Monthly Mash posts. I often looked through the books at the Dollar Tree but never found any books I'd want to read, but I checked again after her post and found these two:



Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
Although I'm not technically doing Travel the World in Books this year (I've decided to forego all challenges until my health stops challenging me *hard stare at health*), I was intrigued when I learned it was set in Iceland and involved a murder mystery.

The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin
This is a fictional account of the life of Anne Morrow, the wife of Charles Lindbergh. Given the turmoil involved with being a public figure in those days and the notorious kidnapping of their baby, I figured it would be a good book to pick up.

the-invisible-pile Additions:

There is a Brandon Sanderson Humble Bundle happening right now that has some novellas of his as well as audiobooks (which are cut up into parts of books- you have to buy the complete bundle to get a complete set of some of the books). I bought the $1+ one and got these novellas and short stories:


Legion (Legion #1) by Brandon Sanderson
Skin Deep (Legion #2) by Brandon Sanderson
The Emperor's Soul (Elantris) by Brandon Sanderson
Firstborn & Defending Elysium by Brandon Sanderson

Currently Reading:

Nothing- I'm trying to choose between starting a new book or finishing off the Night Prince series.

Finished These Books:


"Way Station"* by Clifford D. Simak
I just reviewed this book yesterday, but basically it's vintage sci-fi that's ahead of its time and somewhat solemn in tone.


Asterisks indicate a review, however- my review of Once Burned is the same, but I'd up the rating to 4 stars since I know now where Jeaniene Frost was going with her characterization of Vlad the Impaler (you read that right). When I read the first book for the first time, I thought the author may disappoint me as she had done in the past by having a hero who was violent/liked to play head-games with the heroine. That kind of hero I can really do without, which is why I never really finished the Night Huntress series even though I actually really liked At Grave's End (Night Huntress #3). I didn't find myself too drawn to that series, but when I saw this one I was willing to gamble that I'd like it because the main character is Vlad the Impaler.


I reread all these because I recently bought the final book in the series, Into the Fire (Night Prince #4) but I don't know if I can bring myself to read it just yet. Leila and Vlad have become one of my favorite paranormal romance pairings.

In My Life:

I have pretty much no health news, but I'm ready for my next appointment in early May.

George being a panda bear slash lethal tiger in repose

George, on the other hand, has become obsessed with the feline junk food known as Feline Greenies:


We've always had different kinds of cat treats you can buy at the grocery store for George, but after I bought Torrie and Leia some Greenies, I decided to even the score and get George a big box. George usually didn't care if we gave him treats with his food or not, but now he has become very demanding if he just gets cat food- he wants the Greenies too. I'm not sure if they actually clean a cat's teeth or not, but I know if I run out I'll be buying more- George has never liked a cat treat as much as these.

Since it's that day of the year, I'm recycling this from a previous year:


If you're wondering, that is a picture of a bunny bun (a family tradition- basically rolls with bunny faces made with raisins and expert use of the fork) on a white chocolate rabbit body. It isn't usually served like that, but I thought it was rather funny at the time.

Happy Easter! Do you have any tasty family traditions?

12 comments:

  1. Just FYI, Greenies dental treats are recommended by the VOHC for tartar control :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike Torrie, George has perfect pearly white fangs, so that aspect might not be tested so much. He also enjoys snacking on some of my mom's house plants, so they may actually be his version of floss.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Rachelle!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  2. Both of your Dollar Tree books look good. I think I may have a copy of Burial Rites to read on my shelf. Sadly, I have too many books to remember without checking my actual shelf. Not an uncommon problem among us fellow readers, I'm sure. :-)

    My cats don't seem to like the Greenies. They are so picky, even about treats. They are way too spoiled.

    I hope you are having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Goodreads to track my TBR, otherwise I have no clue which books I have or don't have. If I want to read something, I look at the pile or the invisible pile there and I can sort and choose what I want to read... if I can find it! ;)

      Your cats probably are more refined than George, who enjoys houseplants, garbage can finds, and the occasional dirty dish. I swear he personifies the song "King of the Road".

      Thank you, I hope your week was awesome as well!

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Wendy!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  3. Haha my cats also love Greenies! One of my cats, Smokey, doesn't even chew them, she just swallows them whole! Doesn't really help with the teeth cleaning, but she loves eating them so what can you do? :) I hope you have a lovely next two weeks, Litha!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Smokey is quite accomplished! Those Greenies are larger than some of my pills. George crunches his up- I guess he's a normal cat in that respect. ;)
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Laura!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  4. Those Brandon Sanderson books look good, I'm gonna go check some of those out. And huh, I didn't realize Jeaniene Frost had a series with Vlad the Impaler as the MC! I've heard of her books but never tried them, but I'm definitely going to be looking into that one.

    Glad your cat likes the treats :-) And your bunny bun looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading Legion and it's interesting so far. The Vlad the Impaler/Night Prince series is a spin-off of the Night Huntress series (the books she's best known for) but you can read it without reading the other series first.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Kristen!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the heads up about the Humble Bundle! I've been really wanting to get into Sanderson books and have had my eye on The Emperor's Soul for a while. :)

    George is such a gorgeous cat! I can't wait until I can buy my own home someday so I can get a cat. I've been missing having one for years, but for the last decade my living situation just hasn't been suited to owning any pets.

    As for family traditions I can't think of any really. We take the kiddos out to a local farm to pet the animals every Easter but that's about it. :) I hope you had a wonderful Easter holiday and that you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm glad someone else is getting in on the deal. :)

      It's not impossible to have a cat while renting, but I've heard some horror stories involving impossible landlords. Someday you'll have one (hopefully less mischievous than George).

      That's a good Easter tradition! My mom can't remember why we do bunny buns, but I have fond memories of sculpting bunny faces with my brothers. Thanks- I hope your Easter was amazing as well!

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Jamie!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  6. Ha ha, I love the bifurcated bunny. I totally get why you thought it was funny because it is. I will have to try the Greenies out on grumpy Attie. I love that picture of George! I guess the only Easter food traditions we have are lemon meringue pie, coconut cake, and Harvard beets. My mother always made the cake in a bunny shape of some sort, but I have always made a round cake and put jelly beans on top, or the robin's eggs malt chocolates. I adore your bunny buns. Maybe I will have grandchildren to make them for someday. Thanks for the shout out. I hope your May doctor's appointments go well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't think a bunny bun is adequate compensation for a decapitated chocolate rabbit, but I try.

      The Feline Greenies have better reviews than their original canine treats on Amazon, so they must be doing something good with them.

      I love anything coconut, so that cake sounds tempting! I just saw bunny buns (I'm not sure if they called them that, but) in a magazine at the grocery store, so it must be a more widespread tradition than I initially thought.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, La La!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...