Sunday, August 9, 2015

NQAC: Biweekly Update #15: Pet Projects and Living Like a Maharaja in Exile


Recently I've been upgrading my room with thrift shop finds, as well as upgrading some of my dog's things. Since George has been spoiled so terribly, I bought Torrie a memory foam pillow at a thrift shop and restuffed the top of her flat-as-a-German-pancake dog bed. I also purchased some cute flannel fabric to make a cover for it. Here is Keisha, posing on the newly stuffed bed (I actually tried to take a picture sans dog, but apparently that doesn't fly in our household):


Here is the cute fabric, which the salesgirl informed me was sushi cartoon figures:


Recent Acquisitions (or the Piling of the-Piles):

the-pile Additions:



The Way of Shadows (The Night Angel Trilogy #1) by Brent Weeks
Even though this has virtually no female characters, I was willing to pick it up for cheap. Apparently I'm craving mantasy.

the-invisible-pile Additions:


The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller 
It was cheap, and looked to be interesting historical fiction. I bought it.

NetGalley:


I requested these two from NetGalley and was lucky enough to get them. I've started reading The Sleeping King and I love it so far.

The Sleeping King: A Novel by Cindy Dees and Bill Flippin
Expected Release Date: September 8th 2015

The Heart Goes Last (Positron 0) by Margaret Atwood
Expected Release Date: September 29th 2015

Finished These Books:


It was slow at times- I'm usually all for more pages in a historical romance, but this one needed less.

In the Blogosphere:

The Reading Wench has an interview with Lisa Van Wormer about the lack of military women's voices in nonfiction, among many other things. Also, did you know there was a program that got books into the hands of soldiers? I sure didn't.

Stacey @ The Book Adventures posts A Reader's Guide To Devon, Bath, and London.

Me:

Jamie @ Mayhem Books posts a review of her childhood favorite, Island of Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell, making me want to reread it.

Bookworm @ The Bookworm's Closet has a Mini Bookworm on the Way!

Purplebook @ Way Too Hot Books now has me drooling for Vision in Silver (The Others, #3) By Anne Bishop.

Also, this TBR Calculator Tool was posted in one of my book bloggers' groups. Use it, if you dare. (My piles plus my to-read list should only take me 4 years, 9 months to finish- if I keep at my current pace).

In My Life:

My room looks like it's home to a maharaja in exile, due in part to a lovely (HUGE) colorful rug a friend of ours gave me.


Here's a look at just the pattern- it looks kind of watercolor-ish.


After falling down the stairs in July and having my butt bruised an unfortunate shade of eggplant, I realized that life's too short to have a crappy computer chair. Luckily the thrift shop had a much more comfortable one available for me at a steal of a price:

(I also got a computer mat to preserve the maharaja's rug.)
And since the left click of my computer mouse was dying a slow and frustrating death, I bought one to replace it:


I also bought this 50's glam crystal lamp with marble base, as I have a collection of 50's lamps started. (The lampshade/vinegar bottle bottom is still a work in progress).


How long will it take you to finish your To Be Read pile? (Use the calculator if you have no clue.)

3 comments:

  1. I calculated the time it would take to finish my 4,131 book long TBR... yeah I'll be at it for 27 YEARS and 6 months if I read 150 books a year like I did last year. What is this... But still I forge on!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy you enjoyed the interview article enough to mention it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Rachelle! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...