Sunday, February 24, 2019

Fortnightly Update #49: A Brief Update


After last week's fibro flare kept me in bed and unhappy, I'm glad to be back to blogging (although not as much of it as I'd like).

Recent Acquisitions (or the Piling of the-Piles):

the-pile Additions:

None!

the-invisible-pile Additions:


An Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon
I fell in love with the cover of this one and clicked buy before even reading much about it. This is a sci-fi about prejudice and class systems set on a spaceship.


A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea: One Refugee's Incredible Story of Love, Loss, and Survival by Melissa Fleming
As per usual, I can't resist an interesting-sounding biography, and this one is about a Syrian refugee.

Currently Reading:


Skin Folk: Stories by Nalo Hopkinson
Whenever I start having trouble with reading full books, I usually start reading short stories again, and this is a very interesting collection of them. If you like modern fantasy stories, these may interest you.


The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
I started reading this one because it's a paperback edition, and my therapist wants me to cut out reading Kindle books around the time of night that I should be sleeping. It's an engaging read, but it does have very sad parts which has prevented me from reading it as quickly as I normally would.

Finished These Books:

None! Unfortunately, my fibro flare interrupted a productive reading streak.

In My Life:


I bought a nice yoga ball to replace my desk chair, but for some of the week, I've reverted to my previous desk chair. Fibromyalgia doesn't play well with a constantly moving chair when my balance is not the greatest to begin with. I am looking forward to milder temperatures and nicer weather (hopefully) in March.

Happy Reading!


6 comments:

  1. An Unkindness of Ghosts does have an eye-catching cover, and it sounds so good. I look forward to your thoughts on it. I may have to give that one a try myself . Skin Folk also sounds good. I hope you continue to enjoy The Joy Luck Club. Maybe I should consider getting a yoga ball to sit on. I am not sure they would let me use it at work, but I could use it at home. I hope you have a better week this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so looking for warmer weather- bring on spring!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As am I! It looks like the temperatures here are trending upwards, so we may have some proper spring-like weather soon. :)
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Greg!
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to put down Skin Folk for a while due to some of the content in one of the stories- I am trying to only read "lighter" books, and it was a bit too dark for right now for me. I did enjoy finishing The Joy Luck Club- I love that it had so many different perspectives and stories. Most books can't get away with that!
    The yoga ball is nice, and I've also found a lot of low-impact workouts I can try on it for when it's not being used as my chair.
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Wendy!
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I missed this post! The cold medicine I was taking in February made blogging a surreal fun house for me. Ha ha. Some people's posts I didn't see at all, and others I read and thought I had commented but didn't. I think I still have some of my own posts where I never went back to reply. I need to go back through and check. 😜

    Sorry you were laid up in bed. February kicked a lot of people's butts this year. Hopefully spring will finally arrive and things will start looking up. (((((HUGS))))).

    I have an Unkindness of Ghosts on my tbr for SciFi month. Hoopla has the audiobook..👍✨

    I hope to see a new post from you soon. Hopefully March is treating you better. 🌞

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you survived the cold medicine trials of 2019. ;)
    February was tough, but I've been outside doing a lot of things in March, luckily.
    Yay! I hope you enjoy it! I'm looking forward to reading it soon.
    I just published one, actually. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting, La La! Hope the rest of your March is great!
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...