Thursday, November 3, 2016

Month in Review for October 2016: Mini Macabre Madness


This month was an exceptionally busy month for me blog-wise, especially considering this has been a slow blogging year for me. I wrote up 5 Mini Macabre Review Mondays posts (which are always popular this time of the year), since there were 5 Mondays this October. I almost forgot Halloween landed on a Monday until I consulted a calendar, but I managed to find enough classic scary story material to review.

Statistics:
 Total Posts: 17
  Total Critiques: 5
   Mini Macabre Review Mondays: 5
  Genres:
    Classic Horror: 1
    Fantasy: 1
    Magical Realism: 2
    Sci-fi: 1
    Part of a Series: 2

Most Popular Posts of October:
Early Critique: "Faithful" by Alice Hoffman
SFF: The 5 Supernatural Creatures/Beings You Prefer Reading About
"Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Dirk Gently #1)" by Douglas Adams
MMRM: "The Alchemist" and "The Beast in the Cave" by H.P. Lovecraft
MMRM: "Casting the Runes" by M.R. James- A Book Blogger's Nightmare
Month in Review for September 2016: Syrinx Problems

Flashback Post (From October of a Previous Year):
"Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies #1)" by Isaac Marion, a YA zombiefest with a side of brains.

Pageviews for the Month: 1090
Comments: 24!

Reading Challenges Updates:


Travel the World in Books Challenge



Applicable Books:
Out by Natsuo Kirino (set near Tokyo, Japan)
Dracula (Dracula of Stoker Family #1) by Bram Stoker (set in Romania, among other places)
Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu (set in Austria)

Total for 2016 So Far: 16 of 15 Books, 10 of 5 Countries (Completed/Overachiever Status)


Reading Stats:



Books read this Month: 12


Book Stats:
Has a Diverse Main Character: 3
Doesn't Have a Diverse MC: 9
Female Main Character: 7
Male Main Character: 2
Pair and/or Group of Female/Male Main Characters: 3
Genre:
 Classic Horror: 4
 Fairytale: 1
 Fantasy: 2
 Sci-fi: 1
 Historical Romance: 2
 Mystery/Thriller: 1
 Paranormal Romance: 1
Published in 2016: 1
Published in 2000-2015: 3
Published in 1990s: 1
Published in 1980s: 2
Published in 1950s: 1
Published in 1900s: 1
Published in 1800s: 3
Self-Published, Small Press, or Other: 1
Traditionally Published: 11
Series Books: 5
Standalones: 7
Ebook Version: 8
Paper Version: 4
Favorite of the Month: Out by Natsuo Kirino
Least Favorite of the Month: Surprisingly- Dracula (Dracula of Stoker Family #1) by Bram Stoker, because it started out great but didn't meet my high expectations in the end. It's still a good book.
Most Interesting of the Month (or Book I Learned the Most From): Also Out by Natsuo Kirino-
From the-pile: 3
From the-invisible-pile: 2
Recently acquired: 7
Added to the-invisible-pile: 4
Books bought: 8
Pages Read in 2016 Thus Far (according to Goodreads): 28,642 pages


Ratings:
5 Stars: 0
4-4.5 Stars: 2
3-3.5 Stars: 10
2-2.5 Stars: 0

Author Stats (1 = 1 book read by x author):
Male: 7
Female: 5
Male/Female Team: 0
Diverse: 3
Not-so-Diverse: 9
Living: 6
Deceased: 6

Planning to Read in November:



I think I'll be trying to read more historical fiction this November, in addition to finishing off The Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks and The Mage's Daughter by Lynn Kurland. Of course, I have plenty of other genres stacking my unread bookshelf, so the historical fiction angle is only a tentative plan, especially since I usually read that genre to catch up on my Travel the World in Books Challenge (and I've completed mine early this year).

As for reviews, I've finished so many books lately it'll be difficult to tell which of them will get reviewed. I usually post my brief takes on every book I read during my Fortnightly Updates, so check those posts if you're interested in my take on a recent read.

Happy November!

4 comments:

  1. You beat me again! I read ten books. I was really surprised I had read that many, although the two Halloween themed cozy mysteries I had I turned to text-to-speech, and listened to them in 3X speed while I ate. Ha ha. Cozies are not for me. I might join the around the world challenge next year. I will have a lot more wiggle room with keepung my ARCs to one a month next year

    Is there a reason I keep seeing The Blood Mirror popping up on several blogs lately? Here's to hapoy reading in November. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the books I read were on the shorter end of things, but I was surprised I read mostly male authors in Oct.- I usually read mostly female authors. I haven't read a cozy mystery yet, but I have a few freebies I might try. I think this year I read less than one ARC a month (by choice) and I felt better for it- I'm such a perfectionist that if I have unfinished work hanging over my head (even if it's not near the pub date at all) I fret a bit over it.
      Brent Weeks is pretty popular and The Blood Mirror is a new release. I haven't been reading too much of it (as his books are fairly dark) but I look forward to finishing it this year. It's 600+ pages, and in a hardcover, so it's a bit of a chore to lug around.
      I hope you have some happy reading, too!
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, La La!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  2. I had never heard of Brent Weeks before. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I put the folksy qualifier of "pretty" before popular. ;)
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...