Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Fortnightly Update #44: Let's Do This Midweek


Spring has sprung in my neck of the woods, and with it, high pollen counts have arrived. My neighbor and I are guilty of contributing to this problem with a vast amount of perennial blooms, but it is nice to look at our yards, even if the pollen is beginning to give me headaches. I have actually read quite a bit since the last update, so perhaps some reviews will be in my blog's future.

Recent Acquisitions (or the Piling of the-Piles):

the-pile Additions:

None!

the-invisible-pile Additions:

None!


NetGalley:


The Rain Watcher: A Novel by Tatiana de Rosnay
Expected Publication: October 23rd 2018
I was offered one of those "read now" links for this via an email and I couldn't help myself- historical fiction is part of my reading addiction, and anything set in Paris is of interest to me.

Currently Reading:


Future Shock (Future Shock #1) by Elizabeth Briggs
So far I'm liking this one- the heroine is Mexican American, sports ink, and also is aging out of the foster care system when she's approached by someone who knows about her perfect recall and offers her a job. 


The Summer I Met Jack by Michelle Gable
Expected publication: May 29th 2018
This is historical fiction about JFK and Alicia Clark's relationship- I haven't gotten far yet, but since it is a long-ish book (and I'm not reading as fast as I normally do) I figured it would be prudent to start reading now.

Finished These Books:


Fledgling by Octavia E. Butler
A unique take on vampires that kept me reading and wondering- it isn't Butler's best book, in my opinion, but still worth your time if you like vampire fiction and non-traditional relationships.


The first half took me a while to get through, but the second half? It took me no time at all to read the end. If you're a fan of steampunk-ish books or alternate history, this is a must read.


I would describe the main character of this book as more of an antiheroine than I'm used to. The ending had me on the edge of my seat, though, so it may be worth a read if you like urban fantasy and new adult themes.


I don't think I liked this one as well as I liked the first book in the series, but it's still a solid fantasy romance read if you're in the market for one.

In My Life:

I decided to finally replace my 6+ year old memory foam mattress with a larger version, so I am currently waiting for the larger replacement to stop "off-gassing" and smelling so gross. Although I made a pledge to myself not to lift heavy objects, I did manage to get everything upstairs by my lonesome, as my mother is about a month away from another joint replacement surgery.

My plant army is quite impressive now and I've put most of the seedlings outside to harden them off. The weather has been so decent lately that coats have been optional, which hasn't been the case since last fall. Spring is here!

Which books are you excited to read this summer?

9 comments:

  1. Love the cover of The Rain Watcher, but then rainy covers often catch my eye- something about them! The Eiffel Tower doesn't hurt either. Your description of School for Psychics has me interested, with urban fantasy/ new adult themes, and The Philosopher's Flight because I want to read more steampunk.

    Glad spring has arrived, I think it might be here to stay here as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring has also arrived in my neck of the woods! I took a while (and an impromptu snowstorm) but it went from 20 degrees to 77 in a week! School of Psychics sounds really good! I LIVE for antiheroines so anything with any mention of moral greyness or anything related instantly goes on my TBR :)

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  3. My allergies have been all over the place. I do wish I had more plants and blooms in our yard though. It's so bare, expect for my lonely roses. I love the cover and title of The Rain Watcher. I keep meaning to read Future Shock and am glad to see you are enjoying it. I have School for Psychics on my shelf to read. I hope your new mattress works out well! Have a great May!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess on rainy days I think about reading books a lot so maybe publishing companies are using that to sell books now.
    I hope you enjoy The Philosopher's Flight and School for Psychics if you come across them. Both are interesting, but I prefer the former due to my old-timey ways. :P
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Greg!
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. That "read now" button has gotten me into a number of books I had no business reading. :P
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Cee Arr!
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, and now it's almost summer here (thanks to my lackadaisical attitude toward replying to comments lately)! 20 to 77 degrees F is quite the leap. I hope you'll like School for Psychics if you come across it- it's a bit of an edgy book, but I enjoyed it.
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Laura!
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your allergies have improved as summer approaches. The Rain Watcher piqued my interest with that too... and I'm a sucker for "well, we think you'd like this" emails direct from a publishing house. I hope you enjoy School for Psychics someday soon, and yes, I had an excellent May!
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Wendy!
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know Fledgling was about vampires. Interesting. 😍

    I need an alternative history book for the Better World Books reading challenge, so maybe I'll check to see if my library has The Philosopher's Flight ebook. Thanks for the heads up. I've seen people mention their intention to read the book on their blogs, but I don't think I've seen a review. 📚

    Thumbs up for a new mattress. I think a good mattress always helps with better sleep. I bought a new rug for my bedroom a while ago and I had to sleep sitting up in the love seat in the living room for a week before the sickening odor went away. Ugh. 😒

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...