Saturday, August 2, 2014

Month in Review for July and Upcoming Critiques

My Formidable 4-Tier Smith Island Birthday Cake
July has been a rather slow month for Victorian Soul Critiques and I- I had a bout of food poisoning, and reading a book was the last thing I wanted to do. I did read and review the Dresden Files #2-#4, in an effort to cut down my invisible-pile shelf on Goodreads. Then Amazon decided to have the Kate Daniels series as one of their Kindle Daily Deals, and suddenly my plan to stymie my book collecting fell apart. What can I say besides...
My Precious Books!!!


Statistics:
 Total Posts: 18
 Total Critiques: 12 (1 missed due to food poisoning)
 Genres:
   Classics: 2
   Fantasy: 4
   Historical: 3
   Historical Romance: 1
   Urban Fantasy: 3

Most Popular Posts of July:
"The Duke's Holiday (Regency Romp #1)" by Maggie Fenton
"Fool Moon (Dresden Files #2)" by Jim Butcher
"Thief's Magic (Millennium's Rule #1)" by Trudi Canavan
The Sunday Fun 5 Books That Define You as a Person and a Reader

Pageviews For the Month: 570+
Victorian Soul Critiques is very close to getting 2000 hits, so keep clicking!
Comments: 4

Blog Schedule and Features: Critiques on Tuesdays, Thursdays, sometimes Fridays, and Saturdays. On Sundays, I rotate between the Sunday Fun Five, and Confessions of an Insomniac Book Devourer.

Currently Reading:
Of Bone and Thunder: A Novel by Chris Evans because it was described as "Apocalypse Now meets The Lord of the Rings" on Netgalley. That's a pretty bold proposition, and one I certainly couldn't resist.
Beauty's Beast by Amanda Ashley, because it's Beauty and the Beast, and I'm addicted to Beauty and the Beast stories, as a direct result of seeing the Disney film as a child.

From Giphy
I want to say I'm still reading Candide, but that would be a major fib. It is a current decoration of my bedside table, along with The Riddle-Master of Hed, which I also didn't finish this month. Food poisoning- I blame you!

Upcoming Critiques:

Here's a look at what I've been polishing for the month of August:

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire #3) by George R.R. Martin
One review for ASoIaF per month, because each time I critique something, I have to skim through it again to sort out my criticisms and feelings. Lots and lots of feelings with this saga.
Genres: Epic Fantasy, Funny, Action/Adventure, Dragons!!!

Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul #1) by C.L. Wilson
A series I devoured this year, Tairen Soul is a fantasy romance that actually has more fantasy in it than some books marked plain 'Fantasy'. Plus, shapeshifting faeries.
Genres: Fantasy, Romance, Royal Protagonist, Orphans, Mystery, Magic

Crystal Singer (Crystal Singer #1) by Anne McCaffrey
Killasandra needs a job, and promptly learns she has the ability to hear crystals that power everyday items- the hallmark of a Crystal Singer. The problem is, once you become a Crystal Singer, you rarely ever leave the planet Ballybran ever again. Will she take such a lucrative offer, or find work elsewhere?
Genres: Sci-fi, Space: The Final Frontier, Action/Adventure, and a touch of Romance

Beloved by Toni Morrison
An interesting tale that has become a classic, Beloved is a historical fiction with elements of magical realism that tells the story of Sethe, a woman who escaped slavery. And also, it has ghosts.
Genres: Classics, Historical, Ghosts, Magical Realism

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...