Sunday, June 5, 2016

SFF: The 5 Books That Take You to Your Happy Place

Sunday Fun Five #55:


A Countdown of

The 5 Books That Take You to Your Happy Place



5. Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales #1) by Holly Black
This isn't really a happy book, but I think the memories associated with it make it one of my favorites, and also a book that takes me to my happy place. Tithe is an edgy YA urban fantasy, that remained a favorite of my teen years, helping me be a rebellious teen in plain sight. None of my teachers felt a book with butterfly wings on the cover could be anything but innocuous...


4. Fate's Edge (The Edge #3) by Ilona Andrews
A recent favorite that I still haven't reviewed, Fate's Edge may be my favorite of Ilona Andrews' books. Don't get me wrong, I love the Kate Daniels series too, but something about two people with gray morals falling in love while planning a con is just perfect.


3. The Hero and the Crown (Damar #1) by Robin McKinley
A book I wasn't sure I even liked at first, but later fell in love with, The Hero and the Crown is one of my favorite books to reread. I love that Robin McKinley wrote a kickass dragon slayer for me to look up to while growing up, because some of the other heroines just weren't my style.


2. My Man Jeeves (Jeeves #1) by P.G. Wodehouse
I read this last December, and it was an absolute joy-fest. I love books where the characters truly make the story, and that is the case with My Man Jeeves.


1. All Creatures Great and Small (All Creatures Great and Small #1-2) by James Herriot
This book is an absolute must for animal lovers, as long as you aren't too squeamish. Something about James Herriot's stories can make me simultaneously laugh and cry. For that reason, it's best not to read this one in public, unless you want to get a lot of side-eye.


Which books make you happy? Are there certain genres that brighten your mood more than others?

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe I've never read Tithe! I have to get on that - it looks so good!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah- that's the one your re-read reminded me of. The covers were so similar!
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Laura!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  2. I often need books that put me in a happy place. Especially after reading a heartbreaking one. :-) I love the titles you shared. Fantasy novels probably put me most often in a happy place. Occasionally romance. Mysteries are among my comfort reads, although don't always leave me in a happy place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree- usually after reading a sad memoir for me. I don't usually read mysteries, but I can imagine some of their endings not leaving you in the happiest of places.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Wendy!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  3. I have never read any Wodehouse. I guess I probably should. Do you suggest My Man Jeeves for a first book? I read All Creatures Great and Small after I watched the television show. It was wonderful. Mine woykd be: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Dune, A Wrinkle In Time, Heidi, and I would say To Kill a Mockingbird, but it isn't exactly a happy book so I will say Inkheart. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first few books by P.G. Wodehouse are available on Kindle for free- My Man Jeeves is the first book in the Jeeves series, so it's a great place to start. I love it because it has that British comedy vibe.
      I totally agree with you on Harry Potter- there's something so comforting about that series. I really need to read To Kill a Mockingbird- that's one of those classics I skipped over the years because I don't think I knew what it was about when I was a teen.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, La La!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...