Sunday, March 19, 2017

SFF: The 5 Books You Wouldn't Have Read If Not For Blogging

Sunday Fun Five #72:



A Countdown of

The 5 Books You Wouldn't Have Read If Not For Blogging


Since I've had a less than fun time healthwise lately, I decided to restart SFF on a new question. If I hadn't started blogging almost three years ago, there would be a huge gap in my favorite books category, as I've had plenty of blogger recommendations that ended up paying off for me. Since my memory of who recommended what isn't the best, I'll just be mentioning the books.


5. Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle #1) by Diana Wynne Jones
While I had seen parts of the movie, I hadn't been sure I wanted to read the book. This one was a real mood lifter for me and a joy to read- it's perfect for those who like fantasy on the lighter end of things.



4.  Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1) by Ilona Andrews
I wasn't too impressed with urban fantasy until I came across Ilona Andrews' works, starting with Magic Bites. Ilona Andrews (a husband and wife writing team) are now amongst my favorite authors.



3. Written in Red (The Others #1) by Anne Bishop
From the cover, I'd assumed I wouldn't like it- it looks more like a mystery than a character-centric fantasy, but Written in Red is one of my favorite books now. I'm actually considering a reread of it soon.



2. Thorn by Intisar Khanani 
Normally, I tend to stay away from Young Adult books- I had my fill back when I was a young adult, and most hadn't terribly impressed me. However, because this was self-published YA fantasy, and I tend to like self-pubbed books over traditionally published ones in static genres (historical romance, etc.), I made an exception and found a new author to stalk.


1. Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy #1) by Robin Hobb
Even though this had a George R.R. Martin recommendation, I was wary about reading it given some of the reviews. However, when fellow book bloggers I trusted recommended it to me, I decided to give it a shot (and frankly didn't expect to like it even then). The last two books in this trilogy were some of my favorites of 2016.

Which books have you found through blogging? 

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Thorn! I have seen a couple of other bloggers I follow mention the Anne Bishop books. I guess I was put off by the covers? Portrait photorealism creeps me out for reason. Ha ha. I probably wouldn't have come across tons of books without blogging. Thorn would be one, and Of Breakable Things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually also put off by the covers in the Others series- they're just weird and don't make the books look like they'll be any fun to read. Thorn I would've completely missed because I often just skip over YA, but enough people were talking about it which made me want to try it.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, La La!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...