Sunday, December 18, 2016

SFF: The 5 Books You're Excited to Read in 2017

Sunday Fun Five #69:


#66: The 5 Times You Found the Right Book at the Right Time (Or Did It Find You?)
#67: The 5 New-To-You Authors of 2016 You Wish You'd Read Sooner
#68: The 5 Characters You Won't Soon Forget That You Read About in 2016
#69: The 5 Books You're Excited to Read in 2017
For the 1st of January: #70: The 5 Vintage Sci-fi Books You Recommend (For Vintage Sci-fi Month!)

A Countdown of

The 5 Books You're Excited to Read in 2017




5. Age of Swords (The Legends of the First Empire #2) by Michael J. Sullivan
Expected Publication: June 28th 2017
This book will continue the story that started with Age of Myth, which I found quite excellent this year. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until I can either procure this on NetGalley or find it in stores- but I think it'll be worth the wait.



4. The Tiger Queens: The Women of Genghis Khan
by Stephanie Thornton
This was a book I ordered with The Blood Mirror to get free shipping- but I bought it also because it's set in Mongolia, a place I don't know much about. It didn't seem like I read much historical fiction in 2016 and I'd like to return to more of it in 2017.



3. Rendezvous with Rama (Rama #1)
by Arthur C. Clarke
I bought this at Better World Books after hearing good things about it. I did read A Fall of Moondust this year and was less than impressed by it, but I'm willing to read more of Clarke's later works.



2. Kindred
by Octavia E. Butler
One of the new-to-me authors I am most impressed by this year is Octavia E. Butler, so I'm excited to read the rest of my stockpile of her works in 2017. She wrote complex sci-fi in a manner that's easy to devour.



1. The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer #4) by Brent Weeks
This book was just all wrong for me this year- I bought it in hardcover, which means I have to tote it around (it's hard with just one free arm) and also my grip has started to wane a bit, leading to the deaths of multiple ceramics in our kitchen. Then I was having the year end antics of 2016, most of which were negative, so I'm hoping 2017 will be bright enough that I can read this.

Which books are you looking forward to reading in 2017? 

6 comments:

  1. I have six Octavia Butler ebooks now and cannot wait to read them next year. Thanks for posting about her on your blog. Michele from In Libris Veritas recently discovered her and was raving, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I found her books this year and read them- other bookish folks had been raving about her, but I wasn't convinced until I actually read her stuff. I hope you like her books as much as I do!
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, La La!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  2. What a fun feature! I love that cover of Age of Swords (and Age of Myth as well) and I read Rendezvous with Rama years ago but hardly remember it. I wonder if i should try it again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the covers for Michael J. Sullivan's books too- Age of Myth's cover was perfect for its story. It seems like Rendezvous with Rama is Arthur C. Clarke's fan favorite, so it may be worth the reread. I'm ready to see what his more notable works have to offer.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Greg!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  3. I would like to read Kindred this coming year. I am not familiar with your other titles, but they do sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's also a graphic novel now, so there's also that edition. Once I run out of Octavia E. Butler books to read I'll have to start rereading them again. I hope your holidays were great and happy new year!
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Wendy!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...