Sunday, July 12, 2015

NQAC: Biweekly Update #14: Cake, Camping, and an Adult Coloring Book


I turned 23 years old last Monday, so naturally I made cake (actually two cakes, because the first recipe was a complete disaster- some people have no business food blogging). I cobbled together a confection from three different recipes, getting the yellow cake from Smitten Kitchen, using Alton Brown's Ganache Frosting (unless you are a serious dark chocolate devourer, cut the semi-sweet chips with milk chocolate), and settling on this white chocolate cream cheese frosting as a filling. Needless to say, it was edible.


As a birthday gift to myself, I bought my first adult coloring book. Before adult coloring was a thing, I used to buy velvet posters for my enjoyment. But since it caught on (and I had a 10% off coupon from the Book Depository), I ordered Millie Marotta's Animal Kingdom, and eagerly await its arrival. Shipping time in my little city took a drastic hit after they ejected a postal processing center, so I can only hope it will be here by the 18th.


Recent Acquisitions (or the Piling of the-Piles):

the-invisible-pile Additions:


The Color Purple by Alice Walker
For a little while, this book was available for $0.09 as a Kindle ebook. I'm hoping I'll like this better than Beloved, and maybe as much as Billy, which was set in the same era and has the same themes. I've heard a lot about this book, and love to read the books people ban frequently (because rebellion), so hopefully this will be a winner.

Currently Reading:


Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard #2) by Scott Lynch 
I have other books I've been reading, but this is the one I'm most focused on. The beginning of this book and the pacing is so much better than The Lies of Locke Lamora, which was a very difficult book for me to read until I hit the 50% mark.

Finished These Books:


Gabriel: Lord of Regrets (Lonely Lords #5) by Grace Burrowes 
It isn't often that a final page of a book changes my mind about its rating (especially historical romance), but that is the case with this one. I was bored with the hyper-convoluted plot, although I liked the hero/heroine pairing (the love scenes were tacky, but...). The last page upped the rating from a solid two star (Tolerable) to a three star (Good).

In the Blogosphere:
Arrgh... (reading Red Seas has made me into a pirate). I have had a cold since the first of July, so I haven't been that social lately. Although I have noticed most people are on vacation.

In My Life:

You may have noticed it's a little bit quiet on the blog lately, as I have noticed a lot of other blogs being rather silent as well. I think most people are out enjoying their summer, as I will be doing this week when my mom and I take That '80s Motorhome for its maiden voyage. I can't guarantee the posts I want up will be written in a timely manner this week, but I trust most of you will be out vacationing as well.

How's your summer going? Anyone else diving into 'adult' coloring books?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...