Sunday, July 5, 2015

SFF: The 5 Oldest Books You've Read

The Sunday Fun Five #31

Sunday Fun 5:
#28: The 5 Excuses for Not Reading That Just Don't Cut It Anymore
#29: The 5 Summer Vacations You Can Take Through Reading
#30: The 5 Authors You Just Can't Read Enough Of
#31: The 5 Oldest Books You've Read
For the 19th of July: #32: The 5 Animal Companions You'd Like to Read More About

A Countdown of

The 5 Oldest Books You've Read



5. The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells (1897)
I read this last December and found it surprisingly riveting and fresh for an old book, although the science behind it had my eyes rolling. Nonetheless, it was an enjoyable old read.


4. Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand (1897)
One of the classics I enjoyed the most from my school days, Cyrano de Bergerac is a romantic dramedy that's actually a play. It also has a timeless plot that has been used in countless romances since 1897.


3. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (1891)
My favorite of the bunch, The Picture of Dorian Gray is a tale of immortality and immorality by one of my favorite authors, Oscar Wilde. Who needs vampires when you have Dorian Gray?


2. Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (1862)
Sadly, I can't remember much about Lady Audley's Secret other than it was mysterious, dramatic, and I enjoyed reading it. Still, at least I remembered enough about it to be able to catalogue it as 4 stars on Goodreads.


1. Greek Mythology (Ancient)
I love Greek Mythology. It is overused in urban fantasy, true, but there is nothing more fascinating to me than ancient cultures, their gods, and their myriad beliefs. It's also a fairly timeless book- probably the first ever soap opera. What's not to like?

What is the oldest book you've read? What is your favorite older/classic book?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...