Sunday, March 27, 2016

SFF: The 5 Résumé-Worthy Talents of the Average Book Blogger

Sunday Fun Five #50:


#48: The 5 Paper Books You Treasure Most
#49: The 5 Books That Had You at "Hello"
#50: The 5 Résumé-Worthy Talents of the Average Book Blogger
For the 10th of April: #51: The 5 Books that Make Profound Statements in 300 Pages or Less

A Countdown of

The 5 Résumé-Worthy Talents of the Average Book Blogger



5. Copying and Pasting
When I started blogging, I thought copy-and-pasting snippets of text was straight up lazy. Now I know that without that talent, most of the information on my blog would be wrong (particularly book titles). For some reason, I either omit "The" or add it in most titles, even when they don't need it. Yes, copy and pasting this well takes some serious blogger skills.


4. Time Management Skills
How do you read a book, which will be published in two months, and preferably have the review done prior? Mad blogger time management skills is how. Even if you don't feel pressure to review ARCs prior, there's also setting aside time for reading books, responding to comments, visiting other blogs, and you know, actually blogging (which I haven't been that good at of late). If only your average homo sapien were thusly gifted...


3. Rad Computer Skills
I had never attempted or imagined myself computer coding (in my life) until I became a book blogger. Nor would I have known how to screenshot webpages, make images (that didn't involve actual pictures I took), and then figure out ways to make my blog look less like your average blah Blogger template, had I never picked up this hobby. Did I mention I now know (at the grand old age of 23) how to use most social media sites to my advantage? Yes, blogging has improved my computer skills- skills I thought didn't need to be improved until I began this journey.

From Wikipedia
2. Reading Comprehension
I don't know about your experience, but I feel my reading comprehension has improved since I started book blogging. Not only am I reading more books: I'm also reading a wider range of books with topics and prose of varying difficulties. Beyond the books, I also read a wide variety of blog posts, book reviews, and a gamut of articles, many of which I stop to comment on. To comment intelligently (and without boring one's host blogger/author into their grave) one must comprehend the main gist of the post and find something meaningful to add, preferably something that hasn't been written in a previous comment.

*their
1. Spelling and Grammar
Although I do lapse into folksy colloquialisms on occasion, I do my best to keep this blog without murky spelling and grammar in my blog posts and reviews. I'm not sure to what extent my spelling and grammar has improved, but when I began this blog I doubt I would know how to use colloquialisms in a sentence, much less spell it correctly on the first try. In short, book blogging is "for the win".


What are some other talents attributable to the average book blogger? Have you ever mentioned book blogging in your résumé?

8 comments:

  1. So accurate! I actually have used book blogging as 'job experience' on scholarship forms for college because it is like a job with all of the responsibilities and all. People don't realize how much work it is and how much you learn from it until they actually do it!

    I've definitely noticed a lot more holes in my spelling and grammar since I started blogging. For example, I tend to use 'definitely' a whole lot! I've already used it in this comment! I've only noticed it because I'm doing so much more writing and I pay close attention to what I write now instead of just spitting it out.

    Lovely post!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- blogging would be great job experience for scholarship forms! There aren't many jobs that you have to be accountable only to yourself for.

      I still have to proofread posts to make sure I'm not using one of my catch-phrases (i.e. a bit, pretty much) incessantly in some reviews. I'm okay with being folksy, but not annoyingly folksy! ;)
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Laura!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness I don't have to do resumes anymore! My job and my floater are my "until completely retired" jobs. If I lost my main job, I would just retire and do without some extras. Finding another job where I work four days a week and three of them from home will never happen again. Ha ha. I will say though, my son's friends think it is cool that I blog and do some coding and graphics. Priceless. If I had been blogging years ago it really would have helped with the business I had with my ex. A blog and all the networking I could have done with it would have meant some serious extra cash. Networking skills are so great to have now. My full time boss thinks my blogging is humorous and cute. He knows so little. Ha ha! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, I need to find a job like that! I think I could do freelance writing, but for the most part, they usually want someone with a degree writing for anything that pays well.
      Good for you, cool mom! It's weird, but it seems like it'd be easy to start some sort of online business now that I have experience blogging- many of the skills are definitely applicable.
      Cute. He called it cute? GRR... ;)
      Thanks for stopping by and adding your take, La La!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
    2. Yes! You should brainstorm some on line business(es). I am trying to get my son to stay out of his room long enough to brainstorm with him setting up a Society6 shop with some guyish themed mugs, pillows, and shower curtains. Once you set it up the shop basically runs itself. It will probably only be enough for fun money, but every little bit helps when you are in college (and lessening the need to borrow Money from me). I think if a person could think of three or four different online things they could do it might be enough to support themselves on if they were frugal.

      Delete
    3. I would totally rock an online bakery. My immediate area is chock full of baker wannabes, unfortunately, so that idea isn't as doable as others. I see a lot of bloggers do online businesses (like Etsy-ish stuff) on the side. I haven't heard of Society6- I'll have to check it out.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, La La!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  3. Great post! If I was to apply for a new job, I probably would mention blogging - it's such a huge part of who I am!

    http://bookwormscloset.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes- I concur! I'm not sure I would have too much job experience to 'fess up to other than blogging. :)
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Gitte!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...