Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sunday Fun 5: Authors You Would Revive, If Only For a Day

Sunday Fun 5 #4:

Sunday Fun 5:
#4: The 5 Authors You Would Revive, If Only For a Day
For the 6th of July: #5: The 5 Books that Define You as a Person and a Reader
Feel free to participate by commenting below or writing a blog post: I wrote up some guidelines for blog participation here.

A Countdown of

The 5 Authors You Would Revive, If Only For a Day

Photo From Wikipedia
5. Stieg Larsson, author of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Millenium Series, along with articles.
Stieg Larsson is one hell of a writer, and he hadn't even published The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo before he passed away. When I read his books, I was certain he would be the next big thing, until I learned of his untimely death. My main questions after reviving him would be, "Did you know the books you wrote would be this popular?", "Is Lisbeth Salander a real person, or did you hallucinate her?", and also, "Did you consider having her say, 'My name is Lisbeth Salander. You ruined my childhood. Prepare to die.'?"

Photo From Wikipedia
4. Anne McCaffrey, author of Dragonriders of Pern series, The Rowan, and many other great books.
Anne McCaffrey passed away more recently, and she wrote up until the day she died. She's written so many great books that feature strong heroines, and has imagined worlds that can consume you. Really, all I want to do when reviving her for a day is say, "Go spend time with your loved ones. You've done enough for me."

Photo From Wikipedia, Tolkien in the army
3. J.R.R. Tolkien, author of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Hobbit, and other great books.
My favorite author, J.R.R. Tolkien is a man who could write like I want to write- eloquently and emotionally. He wrote prose, an art which has been scorned by many modern-day writers, but I'm a pro-prose reader, a Victorian soul. If I were to revive him for a day, I'd have him teach me how to write, and if we had time, how to world-build.

Photo From JamesHerriot.org
2. James Herriot, author of All Creatures Great and Small, along with his other great memoirs.
If you are an animal lover and you haven't read a James Herriot book yet, run for the bookstore immediately- don't even bother reading the rest of this post. James Herriot can translate the intangible funniness of 3000 youtube cat videos into a book. He can also make you cry for animals you've never met, laugh at their antics, and generally turn a phrase like he's been writing since the day he was born. If I revived this author, all I'd want to do is give him a giant hug and thank him for writing all the things that other animal lovers can't accurately express.

Photo From Wikipedia
1. Oscar Wilde, author of The Picture of Dorian Gray, and many other great works.
Have I told you lately how I adore this author's writing and witticisms? How before-his-time he was? How his quotes are some of the most liked around, despite being roughly a hundred years old? If I were to revive this author, I'd bring him to San Francisco and let him paint the town red. There is no need for him to write anything else for me, as he left a wealth of writings when departing this world.

Do you have any authors you would want to revive, if only for a day? If you could bring them back to life, what would you have them do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...